Don’t Walk By 2022 – Uptown Outreach
Don't Walk By is an annual outreach to people experiencing homelessness in New York City. Volunteer teams canvass the streets and subway lines of Manhattan looking to meet our neighbors in need. Outreach teams meet new friends on the street and invite them to lunch at a host site. Here guests are offered a to-go meal, and a range of additional items and services such as clothing, basic medical care, overnight hospitality at a partner facility, and the option to enter longer term programs.
Now in its 14th year, Don’t Walk By 2022 will take place at Salvation Army Harlem Temple. Each Saturday’s outreach will cover an area of Manhattan and mobilizes up to 400 volunteers.
Apr 9 - Uptown Outreach at Harlem Temple
REGISTERING TO VOLUNTEER
Please read the below to figure out the best way to register.
Outreach teams are created and assigned by DWB leadership with the goal of a safe and satisfying experience for our volunteers and guests. It is important that all volunteers in any role, on or off site, remember that changes are made to improve each week's outreach and it is vital to be flexible. Your preference to serve with other volunteers will be taken into consideration and accommodated where possible, but we do not guarantee preference for team assignments.
Important things to know about volunteering with us before you register:
- Outreach volunteers can sign up one guest registrant during registration. By doing this, you are letting us know that you would like to serve alongside your guest. Group registration is not available.
- You can only register for one role per Saturday.
- Volunteers participate in the entire day; 10:00 to 3 p.m., unless you hear from Don’t Walk By about different details for a specific role.
- Volunteers are encouraged to be vaccinated and boostered. To ensure the health and safety of all our guests, volunteers will need either proof of vaccination or a recent negative test during check-in.
- We are asking all volunteers to participate in pre outreach training the week before you serve. Training will be available live and asynchronously.
- You must be at least 18-years-old to volunteer.
COMMITMENT & CANCELLATIONS
Don’t Walk By is guest-centric and volunteer-driven. It only happens with your participation. Thank you! We depend on you and all other registered volunteers to show up on the day. Please treat this commitment as seriously as you do your paid work. We know unpredictable things happen in life, but as part of living out your desire to make DWB great, please let us know as soon as you know that you can no longer volunteer.
Important: If you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration or send us an email at email@example.com with your name, the position you signed up for, and the date that you signed up to volunteer.
If you'd like to give financially to Don't Walk By and provide resources for our guests please email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not be receiving any material donations (such as hygiene kits or clothing) on the day of the outreach.
- 8:30 - 10:00a
- Light Breakfast
- Meet us at MyGeneration Church for a light breakfast before our outreach.
- 10:00a - 3:00p
- We'll then make our way to the Salvation Army Harlem Temple to proceed with our outreach project.
- Men’s Scripture Study
- Oct 07 2022