The Term “MYGEN” is not unfamiliar
It was lifted right out of the aim of Adventist Youth Ministries.
THE ADVENT MESSAGE TO ALL THE WORLD IN
MY GENERATION.Adventist Youth Ministries Aim
MyGeneration Church is a Seventh-day Adventist community that seeks to engage all people into a 24/7 connective experience with God. We are recklessly living for His renown, daring to deepen our intimacy with God. MYGEN is committed to a discipleship journey with every generation in New York City. At its core, practice of Christian faith is emphasized weekly in local church and small group gatherings, as well as 24/7 online. The deliberate intent of this church is to make Jesus and His movement viral!
The MyGeneration Church exists to promote Christ’s Method of reaching EVERY generation in New York City.
Intentional worship. Intentional fellowship. Intentional love.
At it’s core MyGeneration Church is a Seventh-day Adventist Church. We uphold the 28 fundamental beliefs of the church, not straying from our purpose as a church and belief in the Word of God as truth.
A Need for Something New
It seems reasonable to believe that at least 40 to 50 percent of Seventh-day Adventist teenagers in North America are essentially leaving the church by their middle 20s. This figure may well be higher.Dudley, 2000, p. 35
In 2013 the number of teenagers leaving the church increased to %.
This is a hemorrhage of epic proportions . . . . The decline in membership of many mainline Protestant churches has been shown to be largely traceable to the shortage of young adults in their congregations.Dudley, 2000, p. 22
The most potent data regarding disengagement is that a majority of twentysomethings – 61% of today’s young adults – had been churched at one time during their teen years but they are now spiritually disengaged (i.e., not actively attending church, reading the Bible, or praying).Barna, 2006, para. 6
Noting a 70 percent attrition from church life among Baptist young adults, Scott McConnell, associate director of LifeWay Research (2007), stated,
Clearly the reasons young people leave are a reflection both of their past experience in church and the new opportunities they have as young adults . . . to remain in church, a person must have experienced the value of the teaching and relationships at church and see the relevance for the next phase of life.Barna, 2006, para. 19
I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.
MYGEN is . . .
A church that seeks to engage people into a 24/7 connective experience with God! They would be recklessly living for His renown.
Deepening Spiritual Intimacy
Daring to deepen their intimacy with God, MyGeneration Church is committed to a discipleship journey in a judgment free setting.
Small Group Powered
At its core, practice of Christian faith is emphasized weekly in local church and small group gatherings, as well as 24/7 through cyberspace. The real intent of this church is to make Jesus and His movement viral!
Five Values of “MYGEN”
What Does This Look Like?
- A commitment to daily engagement with God through (Nature, Study, Service, Spiritual Disciplines, etc.)
- A commitment to weekly small group meetings (Evangelistic, and or Personal Growth Groups. Through a 10-week cycle).
- A bi-weekly connection to God with Access Partners helping with accountability and sharing of spiritual journeys together.
- A commitment to regular attendance and participation in services at God’s house of worship
- Quarterly, Sabbath Service Projects (scheduled on Sabbath-as worship, at worship service time).
- Bi-Weekly log-in to the weekly testimony and message board. Here is where people share their concerns, issues, frustrations, joys, successes, scriptures, prayers, etc. It is a private, safe environment for them to connect with each other and God through cyberspace.
- E-Evangelism Focus – There is a commitment to tweet, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Youtube, etc. aspects of the worship service, particularly snippets of the sermon to friends with an invite to the next activity at a MyGeneration Church location. (Proper use of cell phones in church!)